Tuesday 27 March 2012

Drift wood wonder.



Good afternoon you fabulous person. As it is such a glorious day I thought I'd do a post on my drift wood photo frame. It's practically free and super cute for your home. A few things you'll need - drift wood, one plain photo frame, a glue gun, and some washing up liquid!

It was about last week that I had the urge to go find some drift wood. Being as stupid as I am I had no idea where to look on the beach for this wood. So my friend and I got a little distracted with the rock pools as you do. It was only when we were about to give up that we saw some from the corner of our eyes! Just by the foot path where the tide had washed them on shore there was so so many. So I grabbed my PDSA carrier bag and dived on in there. I collected a fair bit, to the point I have a little box with enough to make another! 

When I got home I went straight to the bathroom where I filled the sink with 'anti-bacterial fairy' washing up liquid and warm water. I put my rubber gloves on and began to soak the drift wood. Giving it a good clean to avoid any odd odours entering my room! Or odd bacteria that's collected from the beach... (remember it's not only sea water that touches these!) I could be wrong as you might not be so anal as me and appreciate the sea smell. If you do, I shall not judge. I then placed them individually onto a towel in the bath and let them dry over night. There's nothing worse than damp wood and glue.

In the morning I bunched them together and spread them out on a table. Placing them roughly onto my photo frame, NYTTJA frame in white - sold as a pair - bought in Ikea for £2.39. Picking out the particular pieces of wood that I needed. Once that was all ready I plugged my glue gun in and allowed it to reach a very high heat. Being cautious with the glue I began to glue the wood and frame together. As you can see in the final photograph I layered up some pieces to give it that real rural finish. Once dry I placed my vintage postcard of 'ladies by the water' which complimented the frame so well and hanged it up on the wall.

But don't let it stop you there. You can create almost anything with the drift wood look. I'm currently collecting more to make a white drift wood mirror. Which is perfect for your bathroom, hallway, bedroom or even as a gift. It gives the home such an earthy natural look. I highly recommend buying your own glue gun, they're perfect and needed for most projects! You can grab one at a bargain price of £9.99 in Dunelm Mill. And the refill packs are a super cheap on Ebay!

Don't be put off making things yourself. Not only is it much cheaper, it's also a guaranteed way of having something unique that no one else will have. I tend to go to fancy quirky interior design shops to get my ideas. Don't be disheartened if you live far from a beach, you can grab a bag of assorted drift wood pieces on Ebay for under a fiver. Ciao for now. 

Stay Fabulous!



Tania Ferreira.

No comments:

Post a Comment